Also follow Fr. Paul at his personal website - mtmonk.com

Copyright © 2011-2018 William Paul McKane. All rights reserved.

19 February 2016

On Saying Someone Is "Not a Christian"

Folks, I have had a number of requests regarding Pope Francis saying that someone is “not a Christian,” if the news reported the story accurately.

For my part, I would not place myself in a position to know if any particular person is a Christian or not, especially when the person claims that he is Christian. Remember how Pope Francis said, “Who am I to judge?” Well, that surely should apply to the claim that someone is or is not a human being in Christ.

I may call teachings unChristian, but even in churches with essentially non-Christian teachings, one probably finds some genuine Christians.

We need humility and an awareness of what we do not know: the inner heart or spirit of another person. Judge the actions, not the person.

In Christ,
Fr. Paul