Also follow Fr. Paul at his personal website - mtmonk.com

Copyright © 2011-2018 William Paul McKane. All rights reserved.

24 July 2016

On Reading

Friends
Of all the many good gifts my parents gave me, and for which I am truly thankful, I often recall with sweet sorrow (as the days are past) when my mother would read to me. I was young then, and very impressionable. My mother would let me curl up in her lap or by her side with a book, and she read to me. She read to me about the little engine that could, about a wolf dressed up as grandma, about Daniel in the lion’s den, about David and Goliath. Her reading to me was an act of unearned, utterly delightful maternal love. And her reading took me into a world I had not known before. Blessed me her memory. 

Read to your little ones, to the elderly, and to those who are sick.  Read what is good, inspiring, ennobling. Read to one of our seniors, who may be seriously ill, from Scripture, or from a holy book, or prayers. And this I ask of you, and beg you to remember: If I am sick in bed, or in a coma, or perhaps dying, please read to me. (And by all means, no TV or pop music; Mozart and Bach are always welcomed.) Do not read junk to me, please, but the best. Read the Gospel of John to me, or some of the Psalms, or the Gospel of Luke. Read to me the Prayers and Meditations of St. Anselm. Read to me Plato’s Apology, or the Republic. Don’t bother me, please, with gossip or news, when I lay upon my death bed, but read from books that help to row the boat of my soul across the stream of the underworld. No rock, no rap, no crap, but words from faith to faith, from the heart of God into my heart. Then you will truly be loving me into the LORD. Please remember, dear souls.  

Dear friends in Christ:  Read! As a teacher told me when I was a boy, perhaps ten or twelve: “Read the best books, and always read above yourself.” How else does one stretch one’s mind, and if possible, stretch out towards the unseen depths of divinity? And she reminded me that it is terrible “to waste one’s mind.” And a teacher told me as I left the 7th grade for the summer:  “Read books now, because you will not have as much time later.” She recommended Mutiny on the Bounty, which I have yet to read! But I listened to these good teachers, and have been reading above my mind every since. 

When I speak with one of our children, I often ask, “Are you reading?” Quite a few look down, and  shuffle their feet, anxious to escape my question. A few tell me that they read. And I ask, “What are you reading?” and they tell me. To begin with, in early years, parents should encourage children to read according to their natural talents and interests: on mechanics, horses, ranching, flying; stories about children growing up on the Prairie, or in mountains, or with a tree outside their apartment in Brooklyn. The point is:  Read! Discover the joy of learning. I found many hours reading maps as a small boy. 

I do not recommend one book for all, but I welcome folks to ask me for ideas about what to read. Surely a readable translation of the Bible should always be close at hand, and often opened, and read slowly. There are kinds of literature for all tastes within the library called the Bible.  As a boy, I loved the historical books, and tales of heroes, such as Daniel and David. As a student in school, I loved Shakespeare above all, and the Greek tragedies. As a young man, I devoured the Gospels, taking the words to heart, and using them to guide my life choices and actions. In college I discovered, by divine Providence, the joy of philosophy, and especially of Plato. I read what challenges me to question, to think, to examine myself before God, to love in truth.
  
I will never seek to insult anyone who finds pleasure reading ranching journals, or magazines about motorcycles, or stories ancient or new. Read! And try to give some time to stretching your mind by reading noble stories, or good poetry, or history, science, philosophy, various holy scriptures. Man cannot live by pop culture and entertainment alone. These things malnourish. Although there are some very good movies available, in general, there is no substitute for slow, thoughtful, mindful reading.

“LORD, I am not trying to make my way to your height, for my understanding is in no way equal to that, but I do desire to understand a little of your truth, which my heart already believes and loves. I do not seek to understand so that I may believe, but I believe so that I may understand; and what is more, I believe that unless I do believe, I shall not understand.” From the Proslogion of St. Anselm, c. 1070. [Note:  the so-called “Dark Ages” were in some decisive ways much lighter than our dark age.]
 
“Now it is time to go, I to die, and you to live; whoever of us has the better lot is unknown to anyone, except to God.” Apology of Socrates (put to death by Athens in 399 B.C.).