Also follow Fr. Paul at his personal website - mtmonk.com

Copyright © 2011-2018 William Paul McKane. All rights reserved.

29 January 2014

A Little Note On Love

    Picture
    Zoe mothering Moses - 24 Jan 2014
    Love does not keep still, waiting for the other to love. Nor does love wait to see goodness in the other, before being willing to venture forth in love. Love goes out of itself now. It is grounded on a firm choice, a willingness to love the other, despite the cost or possible rejection, despite real or imagined defects in the one chosen to love. By loving, love may create, or more likely further and develop the good in the one loved.

    Application: I will not wait to see traits in Moses to “earn” my love.  I will not look for him to remind me of my beloved Zoe, or Rummy. Rather, I choose to love Moses dearly, kindly, truly, intensely: not because of him, but because of love’s free choosing. And note that I will not put love away for another day, or for eternity. Nor will I say, “I cannot love you now, for I feel such grief for the loss of Zoe.” No, that is not the way of love, either. Love says, “Even though I may hurt, and miss her or him so much, I will love you here and now as well as I possibly can.”  And love also knows that in loving anew, the lover honors all whom he or she has loved before.

    Love is ever the venturing forth into Life, not as one wishes it to be, but as it is.