Also follow Fr. Paul at his personal website - mtmonk.com

Copyright © 2011-2018 William Paul McKane. All rights reserved.

24 January 2014

Update, January 24, 2014

Picture
Indomitable spirit
Dear family and friends,

People who have seen Zoe at the door or in passing remark on “how good she looks.” They do not see the reality. Her bones are prominent, her muscle mass is small, she refuses all food now. No, she is not doing well, but on a slide towards death. It is painful to see, but nature is indeed “running its course.”

Still, if she will get out of the car, I will take her for a walk this morning, after early Mass, a brief photography session I asked for (I have virtually no photograph of Zoe and me together), and then a meeting with the bookkeeper. By 1000, if she is up to the outing, we shall drive to Sweeney’s farm for a little walk together.

It is ironic that Moses has been my weaker dog, and often sickly. Zoe was a portrait of robust health, except for some arthritis, which she did her best to ignore. Moses has many more white hairs, although he is younger; he has bad allergies (I have long suspected wheat, gluten, or yeast); he has an ACL/JCL ligament problem that affects him, especially after running and jumping.

Even now, with Zoe not eating and weaker, she takes time to clean out Moses’ ears, and lick off his face. She is ever the devoted mother. I keep wondering if Moses is aware that Zoe is near death. We do not know well what these little creatures know or do not know. I imagine that both of us will miss Zoe very much. We will bond all the better, I believe, but our relationship will change in ways I do not expect without the guiding and ruling presence of Zoe.

Love to all,
Fr. Paul, Zoe and Moses